Thursday, January 10, 2013

I knew I'd never be normal!

Just 8 days ago, I began this blog.  I explained that I titled it "Redefining Normal" because my goal this year was to finally be in the "normal" range for my BMI (body mass index).  For my height, that means weighing a max of 145.  I also explained that I was "redefining" normal, because I really don't think "normal" exists!

example of what the body fat % calculator looks like
Earlier this week, the trainer/teacher at the gym took our weights and body fat percentages.  When I told her about my goal to get into the normal BMI range, she said she never uses BMI, and that using body fat percentage is a better idea of how much I should lose.  Well, last night her computations were finished.  I couldn't help but be excited when she was calling out everyone's muscle mass.  Even though I was by far the biggest girl there, I had more muscle mass than a lot of them!  I have 122 lbs of muscle mass.  My body fat percentage is still high, but that's because I obviously still have a lot to lose.  She asked me what my weight goal was in my head, and I said 145... she shook her head and told me that I should be no LESS than 152!  She said that to be less than that, I'll have to lose muscle, and I don't want to do that!  I'm so happy to know that all of the hard work I've done is paying off.

So... I guess I have a new goal. :)  152 it is!  

Just a quick update on South Beach... it is going exceptionally well.  I don't feel at all deprived, and I have a lot of energy (especially considering I've not been going to bed when I should).  I did 2 classes back to back on Monday, and I felt fine.  I was actually pretty surprised by that!

Confession:  I wrote on Monday that I was going to try to run a mile every time I went to the gym.  That hasn't happened at all!  I was a little late on Monday, and then was exhausted after 2 classes & really wanted to get home to my man (it was already 7:30!).  Tuesday was an off day.  Wednesday I did one class, but I gave it my all and was again exhausted (in a good way) & had gone straight from a staff meeting after work, to the gym... I was ready to go home!  Maybe I was aiming a little high with that mile run expectation, but I will be running sometime this weekend to make up for it.

I guess it's official... I'll never be normal!!!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment